Monday, September 8, 2008

My eventful first day!

Well, today's classes went really well. I already feel smarter! However, my new smartness did not help me while I was cooking dinner.

I decided that I was actually going to cook in my kitchen instead of just heat something up. I had stuff for spaghetti, so I decided to make that. Unfortunately, neither me nor my roommate Corinne had a can opener (Take in mind that Rosie, our other roommate was in class at the time). Corinne suggested that I just use a steak knife to stab the can open. Well, I took her advice. The first time I stabbed it, I hit the can. The second time, I stabbed my hand instead. My CNA skills went into high gear, and I told Corinne to hand me a towel as I ran my hand under water. Then, I applied pressure to it, held my hand above my heart, put my shoes on, and we left the apartment. We headed down to the Student Health Center, which had just closed. Luckily, Corinne could drive a stick shift, so she drove me to the ER(which we got lost on the way, not knowing our way around Rexburg!). At this point I was getting light headed and nauseous. Not from the blood, but from shock. Of course, it took the lady at the front desk forever to take my information. But soon, the nurse came back and got me. When I told her my story, she said to me, "You know, can openers are only a couple of dollars."!!!! Not really the comforting thing I wanted to be hearing while my hand was bleeding! Seriously, aren't nurses supposed to be empathetic? The cut wasn't deep enough that I needed stitches. Instead, the doctor just super-glued my hand together with this medical bonding glue. He also glued part of my skin together, so when he was pulling it apart, it hurt so bad! Now, what is ironic about this story, is that when we got back home, Rosie pulled out her can opener so that I could open my can of spaghetti sauce and finish cooking, as I was starving by that time! Well, at least I have a cool story to tell my kids about my first day of college!

The infamous can of tomato sauce and the knife that I stabbed it with.


My cut! It looks great doesn't it!

1 comment:

Dan and Dionne said...

Chelsea, what are you thinking? Maybe that was not the smartest thing to do... Didn't I give you a bottle of tomatoes? You can open those kind of jars with a butter knife. Something to ponder.